George-C.-Marshall-Ring 68, 61440 Oberursel (Taunus), Germany
This camp was an interrogation camp for newly captured airmen who spend 1 to 2 weeks here before being forwarded to a permanent camp
The camp was built on the site of an old government poultry farm, approximately 300 yards north of the main Frankfurt to Bad Homburg road. The camp first opened in December 1939 when a small number of British and French POWs were transferred in from Oflag IX-A/H. These first prisoners were to act as a permanent staff of the camp to help new POWs become accustomed to camp life. The main building, known as the stonehouse, had been used as a prison for a small number of airmen captured in the early months of the war, before it became a transit camp.
The stonehouse, which had been used to house farm pupils prior to its conversion to the prison camp, was originally the only building in the camp; however from April 1940 onwards the camp expanded with the completion of three wooden barrack blocks. After this point the stonehouse was used as the interrogation centre for new POWs, and the barrack blocks were used to house the permanent staff POWs and other POWs awaiting transfer to other camps. The first Senior British Officer (SBO) was Wing Commander Harry Day. The camp steadily grew in size.
Found 136 POWs
No working parties found